Wednesday, October 10, 2018

LEADERS AND LOVE

This quote is from Krishnamurti, a talk at Poona India 9/21/1958.(available on the Krishnamurti site):

...I say that a leader, a follower, a virtuous man does not know love. I say that to you. You who are leaders, you who are followers, who are struggling to be virtuous, I say you do not know love. Do not argue with me for a moment; do not say, `Prove it to me'. I will reason with you, show you, but first, please listen to what I have to say, without being defensive, aggressive, approving or denying. I say that a leader, a follower, or a man who is trying to be virtuous, such an individual does not know what love is... a leader who says, I know the way, I know all about life, I have experienced the ultimate Reality, I have the goods, obviously is very concerned about himself and his visions and about transmitting his visions to the poor listener; a leader wants to lead people to something which he thinks is right. So the leader, whether it is the political, the social, the religious leader or whether it is your wife or husband, such a one has no love. He may talk about love, he may offer to show you the way of love, he may do all the things that love is supposed to do, but the actual feeling of love is not there, - because he is a leader. If there is love you cease to be a leader, for love exercises no authority. And the same applies to the follower. The moment you follow, you are accepting authority, are you not? - the authority which gives you security, a safe corner in heaven or a safe corner in this world. When you follow, seeking security for yourself, your family, your race, your nation, that following indicates that you want to be safe, and a man who seeks safety knows no quality of love...

Given the recent US experience with leadership this observation takes on a significant meaning.  When the people are afraid, they want someone to take away the fear,  to reassure them.  In this context,  the people become passive and accepting.  They are used but not loved,  not respected as independent.  Only where discontent and challenge are allowed to express themselves and acknowledge the fear and confusion does freedom exist.  And only then can there be love.

No comments: